Palmyra New York Temple Christmas Ornament
Made out of a lightweight and very durable transparent acrylic, this ornament will not weigh your tree down and can definitely withstand being dropped by the little ones should they get too curious around the tree. The acrylic is cut into a 4 inch circle and then laser etched with the name of the temple and a graphic depicting an artistic representation of the Palmyra New York Temple.
Get one for your loved ones to remind them that families can be together forever!
Palmyra, New York 14522
Situated on an elevated ridge just beyond the Sacred Grove where God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith in the spring of 1820, the Palmyra New York Temple—a House of the Lord—stands as a testimony to that singular event. Rich in Church history, the Palmyra landscape is dotted with historic sites including the Hill Cumorah Visitors' Center where Joseph Smith retrieved the ancient gold plates, which were translated into the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.
The Palmyra New York Temple was the first temple built in the state of New York.
The Palmyra New York Temple was the 100th announced temple of the Church.
The site of the Palmyra New York Temple is on the east end of the original 100-acre Smith Family Farm—owned by the Church.
The Palmyra New York Temple is one of three temples built in locations of historic significance for the early Church. (The other two temples are the Winter Quarters Nebraska Temple and the Nauvoo Illinois Temple.)
Church leaders commissioned Utah artist Tom Holdman to create the Sacred Grove-themed stained-glass windows throughout the Palmyra New York Temple including a stained glass mural of the First Vision, which hangs in the hallway.
The windows in the waiting area of the Palmyra New York Temple were etched with a tree design but left transparent at the request of President Gordon B. Hinckley to provide a view of the Sacred Grove. An administration office was relocated during construction to fulfill this request.
The Palmyra New York Temple was dedicated on April 6, 2000, exactly 170 years after The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was formally organized in Fayette, New York, (about 30 miles from Palmyra) on April 6, 1830.
The dedicatory services of the Palmyra New York Temple were broadcast over the Church's encrypted satellite system to stake centers and Church facilities throughout North America.