fbpx

Chicago Illinois Temple Christmas Ornament

$12.00

Let this ornament bring your family close together around the tree to ponder the miracle of the Chicago Illinois Temple.

    MaterialTransparent Acrylic
    ConstructionLaser Etching
    Length3 Inches
    Width2.9 Inches
    Weight0.8 oz
    ShippingUsually ships within 1-2 days 
    ReturnsWithin 30 days of purchase

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on reddit
Share on email

Product Description

Made out of a lightweight and very durable transparent acrylic, this ornament will not weigh your tree down and can definitely withstand being dropped by the little ones should they get too curious around the tree.  The acrylic is cut into a 4 inch circle and then laser etched with the name of the temple and a graphic depicting an artistic representation of the Chicago Illinois Temple.

Get one for your loved ones to remind them that families can be together forever!

About the Temple

Dedicated: August 9, 1985

Address

4151 West Lake Avenue
Glenview, Illinois  60025-1240

Temple Locale

Buffered by an 80-acre nature sanctuary in the northern suburb of Glenview, the Chicago Illinois Temple stands on a lushly wooded site near I-294. The temple is characterized by its six white-tipped spires rising from each corner of the building. The manicured grounds—including two captivating water features—are open for public enjoyment.


Temple History

The Chicago Illinois Temple is the first of the currently operating temples built in the Midwest and the second latter-day temple built in Illinois, following the original Nauvoo Temple (1846).

The Chicago Illinois Temple is a sister building to the Boise Idaho Temple and the Dallas Texas Temple.

The tallest spire of the Chicago Illinois Temple, bearing a gold-leafed statue of the angel Moroni, stands at 112 feet tall.

President Gordon B. Hinckley presided at the groundbreaking services for the Chicago Illinois Temple, noting that it was "a day of history." The ceremony marked the beginning of the return of a temple to the state of Illinois.

Young women from the St. Paul Minnesota Stake made a dozen dolls for the Chicago Illinois Temple nursery, each named after the girl who made it.

Before the dedication of the Chicago Illinois Temple, approximately 100,065 visitors toured the building during its public open house.

In the dedicatory prayer of the Chicago Illinois Temple, President Gordon B. Hinckley honored the Saints of Nauvoo, who finished construction and dedication of the Nauvoo Temple, even knowing they would be driven out.

The Chicago Illinois Temple closed on September 3, 1988, for remodeling that more than doubled its size. The rear central spire and original breezeways between the annex were enclosed, and additional square footage was built underground, largely retaining the exterior appearance of the temple. The remodel added a fifth ordinance room, large sealing room, cafeteria, and maintenance facility. Enlarged were the laundry, administrative area, and baptistry, which was relocated.

In December 1994, the Chicago Illinois Temple was closed for two months for the addition of an elevator and for other minor changes.

On Christmas Eve of 2008, a frozen ceiling sprinkler pipe burst inside the Chicago Illinois Temple, causing extensive water damage. An army of craftsmen from as far away as New Mexico replaced all of the carpet, replaced over 2,000 feet of wood trim, and replaced or reupholstered most of the furniture in just two months.

In January 2015, the smallest sealing room in the Chicago Illinois Temple was converted into a changing room for patrons participating in proxy sealings.